Zezu
Tribe Edler | Paladin Champion
Class: Paladin
Spec: Healing

New Monitor

Post by Zezu » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:55 pm

Try to decide on a new monitor.

I currently have a 42" LG TV that I game on. Resolution is ~1920 (can't remember but <2K) with 120hz refresh rate. I knew that I was sacrificing resolution and response time for a bigger monitor.

I want something >32" which rules out any of the 4K computer monitors. However, I've found tons of 4K TVs with "effectively 240hz refresh rates" (I'm assuming at least 120hz when you remove the bullshit) that are in the 50"+ range for around the same price. Many of them even have reviews from RTings and CNET that they're great for gaming as well as overwhelmingly positive user reviews as far as gaming goes.

What am I missing? Where should I spend my money?

For what it's worth, I've got a GTX970 that lets me run WoW at full tilt while getting 60 to 100 fps. I'm also upgrading to a 1070, 1080, or another 970 in SLI. Not sure if I care about 3D gaming but I'm not ignoring it at this point. Don't care about speakers, "smart TV", PIP, or any of that junk. My setup accounts for any functionality besides making games look pretty.

I'd really appreciate any input any of you have. Thanks.
~ Zezu | Paladin Class Champion | Rank 3 Holy (Main) - Rank 3 Protection (Off) ~ Rank 3 Retribution (Off) ~
Worthington #1829

Zezu

Re: New Monitor

Post by Zezu » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:35 pm

Been looking at these:

BenQ XR3501

LG 55UH7700
~ Zezu | Paladin Class Champion | Rank 3 Holy (Main) - Rank 3 Protection (Off) ~ Rank 3 Retribution (Off) ~
Worthington #1829

Kinslayerr
Tribe Elder | Death Knight Champion
Tribe Elder | Death Knight Champion
Class: Death Knight

Post by Kinslayerr » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:15 pm

Hot dayum. I play on a 22" widescreen, and sometimes in windowed mode so I can have youtubes or Netflix going beside my gaming.

I am Jon Snow with regards to computer stuff so I don't have any useful input.
"Kneel to the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt."

Kinslayerr - Melting faces since before it was cool.
~ Rank 2 DPS (MS) -- Rank 2 Disc Heals (OS) ~

Felluriann - You are not wise enough to fear me as I should be feared...
~ DPS (MS) -- Tank (OS) ~

Moghedienn - Death Knight Champion
~ Tank (MS) -- DPS (OS) ~

Gnomekicker
Warlord
Warlord
Spec: Melee DPS

Post by Gnomekicker » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:38 pm

I have to ask; why are you looking for such a large monitor? How far do you sit away from your computer screen?

I have dual 25" 1440P monitors and I love them. They are the Dell Ultrasharp 25s. If you are really wanting to go into 4K res; you are looking to have to have SLIed 1070s if you want to push any amount of "pretty" on the graphics and keep it at a reasonable FPS. The 1080 and 1070 can both run 4K graphics, but not at max settings at anything approaching good FPS.

Even my 1440P monitor can't push absolute MAX settings with a single 1070 and keep 60FPS going. Just FYI.

Zezu

Post by Zezu » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:29 pm

I'm probably going to goin SLI 970s as opposed to a 1070 or 1080.

From what I've been reading, the increase in performance is about 1.5 to 1.8 for the second card. So dual 970s (I have 1 970) would be better than a 1070.

I sit about 5 feet away from my monitor. I like a large monitor because I feeling immersed. I've leaned away from dual monitors because I don't like the idea of bezel sitting in the middle of my screen.

I don't really care about 4k. The BenQ at 2560x1080 is good enough for me. When 4k games are more common and the graphics difference matters to me, I may upgrade.

I built my system to allow for a triple SLI set for upgrading but by the time I'd need 238% more that what a single 970 will handle, who knows what things will look like. An 1170 may be 300% better than a 970 and require a new motherboard.

I'm interested in your input. I don't know a ton about this stuff and have been building to learn with this setup. Let me know what you think.
Worthington #1829

Gnomekicker
Warlord
Warlord
Spec: Melee DPS

Post by Gnomekicker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:48 pm

So you are probably better off going with a 1070 or 1080, the performance increase with SLI is only in best case scenarios. Not all games support it at all, and those that do don't always support it well. I have always stuck with single cards for that very reason. As for immersion; a 25" monitor less that two feet from your face is the same screen as a 40" 5 feet from your face. I haven't actually done the math, but the field of view is similar. That is part of why I have never bought into the whole "TV" as monitor thing. Don't get me wrong if it works for you then go for it.

As for dual screens, I only play the game on one of the screens, so the bezel isn't interfering with anything really. It allows you to have another screen for things like wowhead, facebook, netflix, etc.

Zezu

Post by Zezu » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:41 pm

Hail corporate?
Worthington #1829

Zezu

Post by Zezu » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Worthington #1829